Friday, March 7, 2008

count it!

So I just put a counter on the bottom of GimmeDanger. I've always been curious to know how many people stop by so it'll be cool to gauge the amount of visitors this blog gets. A bigger number than I'm expecting might force me to temper the content some. I should try to include less stuff about me and more stuff about stuff. Stuff like music!Pete Townshend understands music. He's a pompous man to be sure, but given his contributions to music, his arrogance is allowed. This is the man who gave voice to the mod movement, the man who penned "a quick one, while he's away," and who famously tried to kill Abbie Hoffman when he walked onstage during the who's performance at Woodstock. This is the man who undertook a monumental project in writing the first rock opera, the man who experimented with feedback and tremendous volume, and who explored the efficacy of concept albums that dealt in subjects ranging from pirate radio to split personalities. He often berated the very audience that worshipped him, so convinced he was of his music's power. He's had some really notable, telling quotes over the years; many of them coming out in marathon interviews over brandy and beer. I've been trolling the internet lately, looking for some great ones. There's one that explains his and his audience's relationship to music that, to me, sums up the who's role in rock and roll: "You have to resign yourself to the fact that a large part of the audience is sort of thick and don't appreciate quality, however much you try and put it over. The fact is that our group hasn't got any quality; it's just musical sensationism. You do something big on the stage and a thousand geezers sort of go 'ah.'" I think he said that in 1965.

LISTEN TO THE HIGH NUMBERS

No comments: