Tuesday, July 17, 2007

a breath of fresh hair

The Hives are the shit. I just mined the depths of youtube hoping for a taste of their new album. My appetite was further whetted with newer footage of some unknown songs they've been playing in Europe lately. Needless to say, i was as stoked as a hormone-dripping teenybopper catching the eye of Donnie Wahlberg at a late 1980s NKOTB concert extravaganza. The first clip I found was a sublime seven-song medley covering the likes of the Hellacopters, Saul Williams, Outkast, Three 6 Mafia and the White Stripes that culminated with the band's impassioned version of their own 'hate to say I told you so.' It was super cool. The next clip I found was a song I hadn't heard before and, judging by the band's outfits, it was indeed a newer composition. The song was in the vein of some others off their last album--influenced by 1960s pop and punctuated with drum breaks and happy, danceable choruses. If this is any indication of the new album, it is a likely possibility that I will be the happiest of campers. Also, I found an older clip of the band playing a festival in Germany in 2003. The song could've been an old girl-group or doo-wop cover but, upon further investigation, it's a newer song by a band called the Compulsive Gamblers. They're a group from Memphis who clearly owe something to the super-fun-jubilant-melancholy bands of the past. I don't want to get my hopes up, because they've been dashed before on occasions like this, but HOLY SHIT i can't wait for the Hives' new album.

No comments: