Wednesday, May 30, 2007

just like a dream

With the clearing of the skies and the warming temperatures, Portlanders are emerging from their cocoons and abandoning their spring retreats. For the most part, this is a good thing. The sun's rays improve moods and, I've heard, health too. On my most recent waterfront foray during the lunch hour, I couldn't help but observe some top-notch tomfoolery. Joining the downtown regulars were the nine to five crowds, donning tennis shoes for a fitful jaunt down the west bank of the Willamette. The occasional homeless person could also be found, dotting the landscape and having a nap in the shade at the base of a tree. Accompanying them were the bearded twenty-somethings in their cut off shants, tattered vulcanized sneakers, and fitted t-shirts. They were nonchalantly enjoying a rousing round of 'bee throwing. This is all fine and dandy--totally expected. But there were a couple standouts that deserve mention.

One dude (white), clad in oversized FUBU shorts worn dangerously low and with an impeccably groomed chin-strap beard and goatee thing, was strutting his stuff. He had the lean and the limp in his walk and opted to go shirtless for good measure. I should also note that with his discman at top volume, all the passerby were treated to an a cappella version of some ignorant rap song. This guy was shouting some obscene stuff and doing the rap thing with his hands. "These motherfuckin' n****s be tripping, these bitches and hoes ain't listenin,'" was the part that I remember. It reminded me that good music can transcend class, culture and racial barriers.

Another guy was styling too. He had the ponytail and the baggy leather pants. He had the pierced eyebrow and couldn't stop playing with the stud in his tongue. And in a wardrobe choice that defied not only convention but logic as well, this dude decided to wear a fur-lined leather jacket. It's almost 90 degrees outside and this guy posts up in Pioneer Courthouse Square to send out the vibes in clothes that would keep a malnourished girl warm in January. It's possible that I'm missing something here and that he has a valid excuse to be wearing such ludicrous attire on a hot day. But whatever.

I like people watching and I guess I like making judgements based on appearance. Not my most redeeming quality but I don't think I'm alone either.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Slater said...

Sometimes I think you write words but you don't know what they mean. And sometimes it makes me laugh. But not at you. At the sillyness of the whole thing.

B.Rem said...

what words you talk about? I think I know what they all mean but I might be using some of them incorrectly. It makes sense in my head.