Monday, January 22, 2007

the Nature of the Experiment

...taking me in increments.

So listening to people talking on their cell phones is now my biggest annoyance. I understand that people have business to attend to, friends to chat with, and plans to make. But doing it at top volume within the confines of a bus is a different story altogether. The relative solitude that is my morning and evening commute is a time in which I like to collect my thoughts, rock the pod, read, and generally try to relax. I'm not alone here either. The morning and evening bus into and out of downtown Portland is usually filled with the business class. These people dress well and a large percentage of them read. Imagine our vexation, chagrin, and exasperation as the calm is interrupted and we're all forced to listen to somebody describe the tedium and the minutiae of their day to whoever is unfortunate enough to be on the other end of the line. Oblivious and unaware of their intrusion into the only respite many of the other bus-riders may find from their busy day, these serial cellers don't realize that all everybody else wants is a little peace and quiet. A little time to read and wind down after yet another downtown day in corporate America.

Oh yeah, it snowed a week or so ago. My office was closed and I still got paid!

I'm now reading the Motley Crue book. It's called The Dirt and it is a disgusting look at 80's excess. Filled with the foul language, misogyny and depravity you'd expect from a bunch of drug-addled and drunk rock stars, this book has it all. I got it over the weekend and I'm about halfway done. It's like these guys had a death wish. They destroyed themselves for years and lived (barely) to tell the tale, however embellished it may be. Whatever, it's only rock and roll. But I like it.

No comments: