Monday, January 3, 2011

Top Five Albums of 2010, no. 5

What a year, eh? 2010 produced a glut of good music that both moved and mellowed me. To be sure, I felt more compelled to listen to new music this year than I have in recent years. Relying on word of mouth, internet buzz and magazine mojo, I was intrigued enough to buy new releases from indie crews as well as products of the major-label marketing machine. For the most part, I wasn’t disappointed…but the cream always rises to the top.

Starting today and continuing through the week, I’ll be posting reviews of my top five albums of 2010, revealing my number-one pick on Friday, January 7. Stay tuned.

The Secret Sisters, The Secret Sisters

Sisters Laura and Lydia Rogers, two gals who sing harmonies tighter than an oversized-bosom-containing bodice, came out of nowhere (well… Alabama) with this tasteful tribute to classic country music. Indeed, only two originals make the cut on the 29-minute album. The rest of the set is rounded out by choice covers from the likes of Bill Monroe, Buck Owens and Hank Williams, along with a few public-domain traditionals.

Pure and charming, the sisters’ sound harkens back to a simpler time, when the tinny sound from an old radio united friends and families around the soft glow of the dial. But just because the album has a vintage, worn-in feel doesn’t mean it lacks punch.

Executive-produced by old-timey maestro T-Bone Burnett, it features an ace band of Nashville studio veterans, all versed in the art of subtle, expressive instrumentation. For proof, check the reserved pedal steel on “The One I Love Is Gone” and the refined lead guitar on “I’ve Got A Feeling.” These two songs are also good examples of the sisters’ vocal versatility; the eerie “One I Love” calls to mind the backwoods Americana of woe-is-me country while the bouncy “Got A Feeling” recalls girl-group pop.

Certainly, their ability to cross genres is part of their appeal. That, along with their innate singing talent and the fact that they’re able to sound fresh while remaining rooted in tradition, is why the Secret Sisters are so great – and why their album is one of the best releases of 2010.

No comments: