Monday, October 15, 2007

PERFIDIA

The last couple weeks have been pretty eventful. The Dregs have been seriously rocking, playing shows across the city and having lots of fun. We've been working on some new material that's sounding super rad too. The ping pong table in my garage is in full effect and dudes are stopping by to get a good rally going. Projects at the house are occupying my time as well. Lots of fun stuff going on!
Nike SB just finished a video featuring all of their riders. They held a premiere and after party in Portland to which Beth and I went. We ran into a bunch of other friends too. The video was cool, Nike's team is a real diverse mix of dudes who all ride different stuff and have different styles. It was fun to watch, this dude Omar Salazar kills it; he's in a league of his own. The party after the premiere was kinda exclusive but our friends had some other friends and were able to get us in. OPEN BAR! FREE PIZZA! Plus I got to meet some of my favorite pro skaters and dudes who I see in the mags every month. Beth was trying to strike up conversations with all these pros, just talking to them about skating and stuff, it was cool. The whole thing was rad, I was really fanning out on some dudes. At one point the dancefloor cleared out and fools were taking turns messing around on a skateboard. A crowd gathered around and cheered on those ballsy enough to brave an alcohol-slicked wood floor. The above photo was snapped right before this guy slipped out and planted his face into the floorboards. You can totally see his drink vacating its glass.Another night, I went downtown to see a band called the Black Lips play. I'd seen them before and it was pretty crazy. People were throwing empty cans and spraying beer everywhere. The same thing happened this time around but the bass player was less enthused. I remember this wasted dude got up on stage and bumped into him and messed up the instrument and kicked over his mic stand before jumping back into the crowd. A bunch of other dudes started doing the stage dive thing too but the bass player was just staring at somebody in the crowd for the rest of the show. When it was over, he dropped the bass and jumped in swinging. A small melee ensued, one of the other guitarists briefly joined the fray. Security pulled the band back onstage and took them away and then held court onstage checking out the scene. I saw a couple bottles fly and decided that I oughta to get out of there. It was crazy, I don't even know how or what or why. I think fighting is pretty dopey though.

No comments: