Tuesday, August 28, 2007

$2 off

Check this out. I got this pack of gum at the Korean corner store by my house. It shocks you if you try to pull out the stick. It seriously packs a big jolt; it's so cool. I've had it for two days now and it has proven to be an endless source of amusement.

But seriously, what's with bum kids? Sometimes they seem so dedicated to being bums. I wonder if they decide one day to move out of mom's house, cram a bunch of junk in a backpack, throw out the deoderant and get a dog on a rope. It might be a seasonal thing. Once it gets too cold out, they all move back home and resume normal life. Or when they go back to college in the fall, they say they spent their summer living like a hobo. I saw one panhandler, dog in tow, holding his cardboard sign in one hand and talking on a cell phone with the other. "No mom," he said. "I don't want salmon tonight."

There's lots of hipsters in Portland too. It's a hip place man. Go to New Seasons or almost any bar in NE or SE and you'll see what I'm talking about. But I'm probably a hipster sometimes too. It's a pretty subjective call. Biased too. I think it's a term of condemnation but it seems to get thrown around a lot by hipsters as much as squares. The Libertines sang about it: "Did you see the stylish kids in the riot..."

LISTEN TO THE BLACK LIPS.

No comments: