Monday, April 30, 2007

"my my," they sigh

So it seems that the number of requests for concealed gun permits has skyrocketed since the Virginia Tech shooting. Does this really make sense? One potential concealed gun owner defended his decision to carry a hidden firearm: 'I would've liked to see what would've happened if there were more guns in that school building.' I paraphrased that, but the gist remains unchanged. This guy, and many others, are saying that more people need guns in order to stop gun violence. That means your coworker or someone could be carrying a gun for your protection. Citizen cops--vigilante justice almost. It scares me more to think that people in a crowded public space could be carrying weapons and would be ready and willing to unload their clips in this crowded public space the minute they detect a real or imagined threat. On the flipside, more lives could be saved. But that's not necessarily what would happen. It just seems like a silly rationale; it makes no sense to me that more guns would do anything to help curb gun violence. The real solution, if there even is one, lies deeper than that. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. I didn't invent the rainy day, I just own the best umbrella.

No comments: