Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I need a new drug...

...well not really. Huey Lewis sang that and I think his 1984 song's message applies to me too. He needed a change and so do I.

I need some new tunes. Times are tight and I don't have the loot to spend on the hit-or-miss music endeavors that expose me to new sounds. As much as I'd like to dig through the just-arrived record bins or grab that CD that the mag wrote about, I just can't afford to take the chance on its coolness.

So lately, when buying music, I tend to dig deeper into the catalogs of bands that I already like. Or I'll just buy an old album that's been deemed irrefutably classic. Even though I always win with these purchases, it's still not as thrilling as discovering something new or grooving to an old 45 by someone I've never even heard of.

Case in point: When I was thirteen, I bought The Clash's London Calling. I had never read about or listened to The Clash. I stumbled on the image of the iconic sleeve and reasoned that anything with that cool of a photo on the front must be the bee's knees. Turns out that judging that book by its cover was a good move.

Since those days are behind me, I'm calling on YOU, loyal danger-seekers. Please comment with music suggestions new and old. Though I have been known to be a bit of a music snob, those days too are now behind me and I will consider each suggestion with deference. Judging by the amount of hits this site gets, I'm banking that a few of you have a fairly good idea of what I dig.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

No comments: