Sunday, September 7, 2008

kill your television

Cable TV is a wasteland. Tonight I had access to the more than five channels that I'm accustomed to and it blew my simple mind. How is anybody supposed to cope with that many choices? As the availability of those 250+ options forced me to cycle mindlessly through the digital TV guide, I still felt that I had to decide on something. Why spend an hour watching bits and pieces of ten different programs when there are far more better things to do (such as complaining about the evils of the TV to my small audience)? Maybe if I knew what I wanted to watch before I set out on my television adventure, it'd be easier to find something satisfactory. Making that decision though, is tough and almost unbearable for a dude like me. There were music videos, classic movies, series' that I've read about, extreme clips of cop chases and people getting hurt, documentaries, nature shows and biographies, as well as a litany of entertaining paid programming. Perhaps the skills of channel surfing have eluded me. Even so, I still have trouble understanding why that many channels and options can be more appealing than a good book or a great record or, for that matter, quality time spent with the ones you hold dear. I guess the choice is up to the holder of the remote control and even though that choice can be easier for some than it is for me, it still leaves me completely overwhelmed. LISTEN TO FUCKING DR. DOG's NEW ALBUM

No comments: