Sunday, August 24, 2008

PRIDE

I'm an American--a happy American, but not necessarily a proud American. The neglect of many of my civil rights, the secrecy of my shady governing body and the blatant disregard it has shown to our countrymen and other people of the world have certainly dampened my pride. That's not to say I don't like it here though; no other place feels like home. Every four years, however, I feel such a swelling of pride that nearly all is forgotten. Is it strange that competetive athletics make me more proud of my homeland than the other accomplishments that my nation has made in my time? Seeing American athletes dominate, excel and persevere to overcome odds while competing on the world stage in such a variety of disciplines makes me more proud to call myself an American than any other instance in recent memory. Maybe my memory just isn't good enough, but every time they award the medal, raise the flag and play the anthem, I'm proud to be an American.
I also LISTEN TO JOHN MELLENCAMP sing songs about the heartland.

No comments: