Tuesday, May 6, 2008

making sense, not dollars

Look at this chart…think how many stereotypes you could make. I know I could make judgmental generalizations of listeners of every one of these genres but I won’t stoop that low. Not today, thank you kindly. I’m sure we all understand that your average country fan is a republican and that the majority of reggae listeners are democrats. Mostly Latinos listen to Latin music and they tend to lean left while people who listen to religious music align themselves, more often than not, with the conservative right. That all makes sense. But I know as well you do that there are always exceptions. Consider classic rock, it’s right in the middle. Equal numbers of republicans and democrats listen to classic rock. And even though I have a big problem with the term ‘classic rock’ and all the junk that has now been labeled ‘classic rock,’ it’s easy to understand how classic rock and roll can transcend party lines. Everybody grew up with it and so everybody can identify with it. That’s why so many campaign theme songs are from the classic rock genre; they’re instantly recognizable and appeal to just about everybody.

No comments: