Thursday, April 24, 2008

nothing left to burn

Technical wizardry and jazzy-pop song structures paired with clever lyrics helped Steely Dan repel philistines and defy convention. The group was made up of exceptionally talented and versatile studio musicians that took its name from a William S. Burroughs book. In it, Steely Dan was the name given to a dildo. I once bought tickets to see them play at a legendary theater in Chicago. The show was to coincide with a trip my girl and I were taking in July. We arrived at the venue to find the doors locked and the lights off. Stymied, we examined our tickets only to realize that the band had played in June. We had both inexplicably failed to notice the difference in four-letter J months at the point of purchase. So we missed the show. That wasn’t even the first time it had happened to me either. My friend and I once drove to LA to see the White Stripes play at this cool amphitheater. We thought our tickets were for Thursday but they were for Wednesday. So we missed that show too. In both cases, I was comforted by the fact that the journeys to the shows were awesomely memorable. And because I'm not one to cry over spilled milk, I moved on.

LISTEN TO STEELY DAN'S "CAN'T BUY A THRILL." DIG THE COVER.

No comments: