Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I guess Valentine's is a legit holiday from long ago. It's rooted in ancient Roman tradition. I always thought it was a Hallmark holiday created by some corporate bigwig to get dudes to buy stuff for their ladies. Either way, I'm a fairly enthusiastic participant.


So it is on this joyous day of affection that I am reminded of a certain pair of lovebirds. Both of them work in the same building as me and they are pretty remarkable (in the sense that they deserve remark). The female, whom I guess to be in her early 20s, is a typical Portland rock and roll girl. She's not wholly unattractive and not overweight; some might find her cute. She wears a lot of hip, black clothes and has short, cropped hair. She may be older but there's no way she's above 30. I've talked to her in passing and she seems cool and totally normal. Which is why her taste in men seems so puzzling. I'd seen her around for awhile with this really old and scary-looking guy. He had to be pushing 55 and had deep, sunken eyes. With a grizzly, gray beard, he dressed very plainly in drab, dirty colors. At first glance, I judged him to be a communist. Not only that, he was bald and paunchy and wrinkly. Initially, I thought they were just working together on some project. Over time though, they became more amorous. I'd see them together more often, usually on break, and the girl was really trying to get closer to him. She'd try to kiss him or hold his hand and he'd be kindly hesitant. After a couple months of this behavior, he relented, and before long, it appeared to be official. Now they're like two kissy peas in one strange pod. They make an odd couple but they seem content with each other. I don't want to make their business my own but it's hard not to notice. I don't know whether to be happy they found each other or creeped out.

Happy Valentine's day!

No comments: