Wednesday, December 6, 2006

[growing] up is hard to do

So I'm 25 years old now. Rad. It's wierd, birthdays used to be so fun, like "hooray for me, it's my day!" Now it's just another day. I'm not sad about getting older but it's just not that big of a whoop. Oh yeah, I worked all day too. My folks wanted to take me to lunch. Instead of something nice or classy, I chose the smoky hangout where day laborers go to hang out and drink beer on their lunch breaks. Gaffer's is awesome. The place has video poker, dirty bathrooms, a 70 year old waitress who chainsmokes and the best damn fish n chips. seriously, so good. Plus, while you eat you get to overhear the surly day laborers talk shit about illegal mexicans. My excellent girlfriend took me to dinner, too, and got me the perfect handkerchief to match the perfect jacket she got me.
Also, I fully bit my tongue yesterday when this old couple bought Bill O'Reilly's book. It's called Culture Warrior and these people wouldn't shut up about how intelligent and reasonable he is. They were telling me how I should really listen to him because he's "the only one out there right now who tells it like it is." I politely told them that I don't subscribe to his nonsense and asked who sold them that crock. Actually, I just said that I don't quite agree, but to have a good christmas regardless. They were schocked. They wanted to know if I went to school. When I told them that I was a college graduate, they said "you're probably from U of O in Eugene." Old people, man. The funny thing was that she was a sweet old lady the whole time. I hate how party ties divide people. I don't subscribe to either one. I align with both sides on different issues. Does that make me a traitor to the dems; it shouldn't.

No comments: